We are releasing our first preview with support for Apple’s watchOS 2.0 with new iOS 9 packaging features such as app thinning, on-demand resources, and data asset catalogs.
Note that this preview is not necessary to use new iOS 9 APIs. Those API updates are included in Xamarin.iOS 8.13, which is currently available from the Xamarin alpha channel.
This is an early preview and is still in active development. Not all features are complete and it has not been tested to the same level as our other releases. Nonetheless, if you find any problems that are not listed in the known issues please report them in Bugzilla!
- WatchOS 2 apps fail to compile for device. Only simulator is supported in this preview.
- Debugging watchOS 2 apps is not yet supported.
- On-demand resources do not load during local development.
- The Publishing Wizard does not support app thinning.
- The on-demand resource tags field in the property grid is not updated when the build action is changed.
- There is no way to set Initial Install and Prefetch resource tags.
- The UI design for Data Sets in Asset Catalogs is not finalized.
- If you choose to add a ComplicationController from the project wizard, it will not compile unless you implement its abstract members.
- iOS projects show an incorrect “incompatible framework” error for the WatchKit app.
- The iOS Project Options panel for WatchKit app extensions shows several invalid options.
- The UI incorrectly allows adding source code and assembly references to WatchKit apps. Code must be in the WatchKit extension.
We are releasing a new preview of Cycle 6 to the Alpha channel. This series of builds will be the next major feature release of the Xamarin Platform when they release to Stable later this year. We wanted to release these builds to a wider audience for consumption via the Alpha channel. If you are looking for the iOS 9 preview, you can find that here.
As this is an Alpha release there are bound to be bugs. Please make sure to use the forums below to read up on issues as they are found, and see if any workarounds exist, or log a bug if one doesn’t exist already.
- [Xamarin.VS] – Android applications will not run on device for the 1st attempt. Re-running the same application successive times will successfully deploy it on device.
- [Xamarin.VS] – When using Visual Studio with OSX Mavericks, iOS Applications on iOS devices will not run, resulting in an error message. These applications work fine with OSX Yosemite.
- Xamarin Studio 126.96.36.1994
- Xamarin.Android 188.8.131.523
- Mono Framework MDK 184.108.40.206
Upcoming Release Dates
Alpha – August 26th, 2015
Alpha 2 – Today!
Beta – September / October 2015
Stable – Fall 2015
Xamarin Profiler preview 0.21 is now available for download! There have been a number of fixes since our previous preview, which have been noted below.
Please note that the Mac app bundle has been renamed (from XamarinProfiler.Mac.app to “Xamarin Profiler.app”), so the old version needs to be removed before installing this new update, so that Xamarin Studio prompts the user for the new location.
- 27551 – Tooltips for toolbar buttons should now display until the mouse is no longer hovering over the button.
- 33197 – Call tree data in the detail pan should no longer be reloaded when clicking the radio button “Invert Call Tree” multiple times.
- 33356 – Sorting for the “Caller” column in the “Allocations List” view should now function correctly.
- 33365 – Sorting arrow should now show all columns in the “Summary” and “Allocation List” views.
- 33187 – “+” icon now properly disabled when all instruments are already selected.
- 33188 – “+” icon now properly disabled when profiling process is in progress.
- 31098 – Taking snapshots should now be quicker.
- 28935 – Profiling process no longer randomly stops on iOS apps.
- 33364 – “Stack Trace” should now properly display for “Snapshots” view.
- 31709 – Text is now consistent for “Persistent Objects” checkbox on both Mac and Windows.
- 31924 – Fixed an issue with Profiler sometimes launching the app in the wrong simulator / not launching at all.
As with all our preview releases, this is not a product we officially support. If you encounter any issues, we recommend filing a bug in Bugzilla. You can also jump into the discussions on the forum thread posted below.